The Internet of Things, or IoT, is the interconnection via the Internet of computer-based systems embedded in devices and physical objects which enables these things to connect and exchange data over a network without requiring human-to-computer interaction, thus increasing the opportunities for integration of the real world into computing devices.
As the importance of the Internet of Things grows, it will demand new technology and principles that will have a very extensive impact on businesses, organizations, and society at large.
Here are ten of the most remarkable and innovative technologies in the Internet of Things.
- Internet of Things platforms. An IoT platform is multi-layer technology, consisting of hardware, software, connectivity, and a user interface, that enables and facilitates the management, data flow, communication, application functionality, and automation of connected devices.
- Internet of Things operating systems. Traditional operating systems like Microsoft Windows, Mac iOS, or Linux are not designed for IoT software and applications and cannot handle them. This has given rise to IoT OS, operating systems which are designed to perform with the limits of IoT devices. Some IoT operating systems are Windows IoT, Ubuntu Core, Android Things, Fuchsia OS, and RIOT.
- Internet of Things device management. IoT device management is the process of managing, configuring, and monitoring device firmware and software, as well as diagnostics, updates, security, and connectivity.
- Real-time event stream processing for Internet of Things. Event stream processing, or ESP, is a set of technologies, involving visualization, databases, middleware, and processing languages, which is designed to assist the construction of event-driven information systems. Real-time stream processing is needed to handle the data from devices in the Internet of Things.
- Short-range IoT networks. Short-range wireless networks, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, are currently used for the connectivity of IoT devices and will dominate the field for several more years.
- Wide-area IoT networks. Wide area networks, or WANs, are telecommunication and internet networks that extend over a large geographical area. Emerging WAN standards may dominate IoT connectivity in the future.
- IoT standards. Internet standards are technically mature specifications of methodology that are useful in some or all parts of the Internet. While IoT standards are still developing, some, like 6LoWPAN, Contiki, and Sigfox, are emerging and are expected to become mainstream in the IoT in the next few years.
- IoT ecosystem. IoT ecosystems are business communities consisting of enterprises and vendors and comprised of entities that send requests or commands over the network to IoT devices. IoT ecosystems are expected to have an impact on nearly every industry in a few years.
- IoT security. IoT security is concerned with protecting networks and devices on the Internet of Things. With the use of IoT products spreading and the way IoT products are so close to our lives, security is one of the most important areas of innovation in IoT.
- IoT processors. Processors are the logic circuitry in computing devices that process the instructions given to the computer. Different IoT devices use specific types of processing which define many of their capabilities. Processor choices have important implications for IoT devices.
Companies should be prepared to handle the emerging innovations in the Internet of Things technologies and remain informed about the aspects of these innovations as IoT grows in importance.